Monday, April 18, 2011

The importance of layering

Today, my first official day of my Half Ironman Training Schedule went just fantastically.  And by "fantastically", I mean "not even close to fantastic".

Ok, so maybe it wasn't so bad.  I was scheduled for a 20 mile bike and a 1,000 meter swim.  What did I actually do?  A 10 mile bike and a 1,320 yard swim.  Which means I did _half_ what I was supposed to on the bike and 20% more in the pool.  Even MY math skills says that's not right!

Why the odd numbers for the swim?  For whatever reason, the pool I swim in is 33 yards.  I honestly don't think ANYone knows why it's this length, but it is.  Some days this is a nice feature, like today, you swim your 20 laps and its almost like the extra distance is sneaking itself in!  Other days, it's horrible.  You just want to swim whatever set distance, no more and then you have to get out the calculator and figure out that you need to do something ridiculous like 13.27 laps!

In other news:  It snowed today.  In the middle of April.  Which meant the rest of the day was a bit chilly.  42 degrees really isn't the end of the world, but shorts, a long-sleeved shirt and a fleece vest were NOT warm enough.  I got about three blocks before my fingers were numb and about five before my I lost sensation in my toes.  Luckily for me, I've got quite a bit of insulation on my body so I wasn't completely numb, but by about the five mile mark, I was done.  I made it the entire 10 mile loop without crying though, so I consider the day a success!

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.  I'm almost guaranteed a better training day, so that's something!

No comments:

Post a Comment