Thursday, April 14, 2011

When the cyclometer says you're pulling 19.2 mph, check to make sure it's calibrated correctly

Had an awesome bike ride yesterday before working a 12 hour midnight shift.  It was my first _real_ ride of the season, yeah I've ridden my bike to work a couple times and my triathlon team did a brick workout on Saturday, but that was 6 miles and hardly counts!

It was great to get out there for 20 miles.  It was even better to look at my cyclometer and see 19.2 miles per hour!  I knew that couldn't be right, 19.2mph??  Me??  No way!  I usually stick to the more fat-girl-friendly zone of 14mph.

I knew that the route I was doing was exactly 10 miles and I was doing it twice so I figured I'd wait and see how long it took me and judge my speed that way.  Lo and behold, I hit the five mile mark and my cyclometer says...  FIVE MILES!  It was right!  I didn't have to recalibrate it! SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!  What was even more amazing was that I really felt like I was at a manageable pace (I averaged 16.04mph)!  Don't get me wrong, I was working.  But I definitely wasn't killing myself and I might have even been able to manage 30 miles, had I not required a shower before work.  And work was a requirement if I want to keep eating.  And trust me, I like to eat.

I especially like to eat after a 20 mile bike ride.

So, let me propose a toast (as I type this it's currently 8:12 am, but I work midnights so it doesn't count):
Here's to riding 20 miles, which would have killed me a year ago!  And here's another to not being even a titch sore afterward!

No comments:

Post a Comment